Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SET THE TONE!

I suppose there's really only one way to start a day or year off.

SET THE TONE!

Most of my training for the last two years has focused on Olympic and 70.3 (half) triathlon distance racing with my last race of 2011 being a Ironman 140.6 (full) distance race so of course it would make sense to go out on New Years day having not run a 5K in nearly 3.5 years and see what I got.  But first some quick back story.

Me and the family went to a friends house for New Years Eve for some great company, food, and a few shots of some liquid that is usually preceded and then followed by some substances to take the bite away.  Got to sleep about 1 am woke up at 7am, of course I went back to sleep and woke up at 8:54.  Brushed the teeth, went into my sons room and asked him if he wanted to go run a 5K with me.  He said, "how long is that" to which I replied 3.1 miles to  which he said, "no".  I got dressed and headed out the door for the 9:30 start.  Arrived at 9:20 got my bib and chip, got to the line and 30 seconds later, off we went.  1st mile was 6:23, 2nd mile was 6:24, and the 3rd mile was 6:38 due to some pretty killer hills, and as I rounded the corner with visions of going sub-20 min only to see 20:07 I picked up the pace to cross the mats with the clock reading 20:14 (clock time).  Chip time was 20:08. 

A PR by 1:14 seconds!!
17/376OA
5/35AG

Along the way I received a few comments which ranged from, "the more colorful I dress the faster I go to, "what's wrong couldn't decide if you were doing a Triathlon or a Running Race"?  To which I replied, "Yes" or at least that's all I had breath for.

What did you do to set the tone?!?!




Cheers to all in 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment